Wednesday 1 May 2013

Post Baselworld Rant




















This my friends is a watch.
It will not make you feel like an astronaut, or a race car driver, a tennis player or a supermodel.
It is a watch.
It will not make you sexy, it will not make you happy, it will not make you cool, but it will tell the time quite well. Because after all, it is a watch.
Every detail was considered for it's function and not it's irrational appeal to a particular demographic. That's how I believe a product should be designed.

What I see every year in Basel is shocking. The icing on a cherry on top of the icing on a slice of pineapple, on top of some more icing is not a new feature. It's hot air. All the companies seem to produce hot air. All we want to breathe seems to be hot air. And that is all we are getting. Halls of hot air and dangerously superficial people. I guess my anger reveals my own superficiality to some degree. But this is my blog and I can say what I want.

Edward Bearnays let the genie out of the bottle. I think it's time to cork it again and get real.
Sure, we need to let the world know about our products, but come on, what many companies are doing is totally ridiculous.

I'm not trying to take the fun out of life - in the contrary. I'm asking people to go out and create their own experiences and not live through the adventures others appear to have for them. I'd like to see a campaign for real products. Not marketing bollocks and irrational claims. It's a watch. It shows the time. It does it well. Thats all. You want more? Eff off idol worshipper.

No comments:

Post a Comment